403 Error when accessing Eclipse

Ipro_TannerComes

• IPRO Employee

I came across an interesting issue on an install today. I was installing Eclipse, and I would get a 403 error whenever I browsed to it, even from the web machine. I verified that my service account had permission to C:\Program Files\Ipro Tech\Web and that only Anonymous Authentication was enabled in IIS. Searching the logs, I found the specific error was 403 with a substatus of 14. I googled this to find that enabling Directory Browsing would fix it. So I tried this, but now I could see all the files in C:\Program Files\Ipro Tech\Web\EclipseWeb. I clicked on the Eclipse.xbap and it downloaded and ran. But obviously this wasn't the fix - you don't want users seeing what's in that directory.

So I disabled Directory Browsing and realized that the Default Document probably wasn't configured. In IIS, I selected the Default Document option and as I suspected, "eclipse.xbap" was not in the list. I added this entry and tried again, and just like that I was able to access Eclipse.

• IPRO Employee

I came across an interesting issue on an install today. I was installing Eclipse, and I would get a 403 error whenever I browsed to it, even from the web machine. I verified that my service account had permission to C:\Program Files\Ipro Tech\Web and that only Anonymous Authentication was enabled in IIS. Searching the logs, I found the specific error was 403 with a substatus of 14. I googled this to find that enabling Directory Browsing would fix it. So I tried this, but now I could see all the files in C:\Program Files\Ipro Tech\Web\EclipseWeb. I clicked on the Eclipse.xbap and it downloaded and ran. But obviously this wasn't the fix - you don't want users seeing what's in that directory.

So I disabled Directory Browsing and realized that the Default Document probably wasn't configured. In IIS, I selected the Default Document option and as I suspected, "eclipse.xbap" was not in the list. I added this entry and tried again, and just like that I was able to access Eclipse.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tanner,

What version of Eclipse were you installing?

I have seen this error on fresh installs. And it used to be an issue in ancient version of Eclipse. but was resolve in 2014 release.

I think the install is broken again in latest version, assuming you were installing the latest version.

Vaibhav

Hi Tanner,

What version of Eclipse were you installing?

I have seen this error on fresh installs. And it used to be an issue in ancient version of Eclipse. but was resolve in 2014 release.

I think the install is broken again in latest version, assuming you were installing the latest version.

Vaibhav

Archived