Managing Software Installation and Updates

dfoley8

Users here do not have local administrative rights, which is required, to install Eclipse Native Viewer. Is there an installation package (.msi, .exe, etc.) available for download so that we can more efficiently manage installations for our user base? How are other organizations managing the Eclipse software for their users?

Users here do not have local administrative rights, which is required, to install Eclipse Native Viewer. Is there an installation package (.msi, .exe, etc.) available for download so that we can more efficiently manage installations for our user base? How are other organizations managing the Eclipse software for their users?

• IPRO Employee

(The information below was provided as a response to ticket 100287 regarding the same inquiry.)

Daniel,

Thank you for your inquiry. 8.4.2 is confirmed to be the latest version of the Eclipse Native Viewer (ENV for short), and it is only available in EXE format and not MSI. The ENV is downloaded in real-time to temp (usually %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Ipro-Eclipse) when it is being installed, and then it is deleted automatically from the system, thus it cannot be found for later use. Below you will find steps to download the ENV EXE application that you can keep in your network environment for handy reference, if you need it. Because Eclipse is a web-based application, there is nothing to install up-front when setting up Eclipse. As an alternative, a step can be introduced into your current workflow to install the ENV when a user's system is imaged, repaired, or otherwise setup. Otherwise, it will require elevated permissions each time unless users simply have permission to install applications.

We hope this information helps. Have a great weekend!

Thank you,

Andrew Coody

Technical Support Engineer

Daniel, a representative of IPRO Tech, has prepared a file for you to download.

You can download the file using this link:

https://scft.iprotech.com/Download/E...2.zip.download

This link will expire in 24 hours.

Remove the .download file extension before trying to use the file.

If you reply to this message your response will be addressed to Support.

Thank you for choosing IPRO.

• IPRO Employee

(The information below was provided as a response to ticket 100287 regarding the same inquiry.)

Daniel,

Thank you for your inquiry. 8.4.2 is confirmed to be the latest version of the Eclipse Native Viewer (ENV for short), and it is only available in EXE format and not MSI. The ENV is downloaded in real-time to temp (usually %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Ipro-Eclipse) when it is being installed, and then it is deleted automatically from the system, thus it cannot be found for later use. Below you will find steps to download the ENV EXE application that you can keep in your network environment for handy reference, if you need it. Because Eclipse is a web-based application, there is nothing to install up-front when setting up Eclipse. As an alternative, a step can be introduced into your current workflow to install the ENV when a user's system is imaged, repaired, or otherwise setup. Otherwise, it will require elevated permissions each time unless users simply have permission to install applications.

We hope this information helps. Have a great weekend!

Thank you,

Andrew Coody

Technical Support Engineer

Daniel, a representative of IPRO Tech, has prepared a file for you to download.

You can download the file using this link:

https://scft.iprotech.com/Download/E...2.zip.download

This link will expire in 24 hours.

Remove the .download file extension before trying to use the file.

If you reply to this message your response will be addressed to Support.

Thank you for choosing IPRO.

Thanks Andrew. It looks to be a .msi installer contained within the .zip file. I'll do some testing and let you know if we run into any issues. Do you know if there's an updater feature by which the application checks for updates and tries to install automatically? If so, is there a way to turn that feature off? Thanks again.

Thanks Andrew. It looks to be a .msi installer contained within the .zip file. I'll do some testing and let you know if we run into any issues. Do you know if there's an updater feature by which the application checks for updates and tries to install automatically? If so, is there a way to turn that feature off? Thanks again.

• IPRO Employee

My apology for the MSI vs EXE mixup. I stand corrected on that. An MSI should be able to be ran/installed with less permissions than an EXE would, so maybe running a mass-deploy and installation of the MSI via PowerShell or Windows DFS, etc. may work.

As far as an updater, and whether it can be turned on/off, I will check on that and respond soon.

• IPRO Employee

My apology for the MSI vs EXE mixup. I stand corrected on that. An MSI should be able to be ran/installed with less permissions than an EXE would, so maybe running a mass-deploy and installation of the MSI via PowerShell or Windows DFS, etc. may work.

As far as an updater, and whether it can be turned on/off, I will check on that and respond soon.

• IPRO Employee

Daniel,

I received a response that there is no checking beyond whether the ENV is simply installed locally or not. The version of the ENV that gets installed is based on the version of Eclipse. If any version is installed, Eclipse will use it. Otherwise it will ask to install the version it has.

Hopefully this further answers your questions.

• IPRO Employee

Daniel,

I received a response that there is no checking beyond whether the ENV is simply installed locally or not. The version of the ENV that gets installed is based on the version of Eclipse. If any version is installed, Eclipse will use it. Otherwise it will ask to install the version it has.

Hopefully this further answers your questions.

Archived