Eclipse Analytics Limitiations and other Considerations

lperez2

As a law firm practice support department we want to advise case teams whether or not Eclipse analytics is suitable for analyzing an incoming opposing production containing CJK documents.

• What are the limitations on Eclipse analytics when dealing with foreign language docs?
  • What are the considerations?
  • If foreign language analytics capabilities are essential to the case team, when would it be appropriate to seek alternatives?

Thanks

As a law firm practice support department we want to advise case teams whether or not Eclipse analytics is suitable for analyzing an incoming opposing production containing CJK documents.

• What are the limitations on Eclipse analytics when dealing with foreign language docs?
  • What are the considerations?
  • If foreign language analytics capabilities are essential to the case team, when would it be appropriate to seek alternatives?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave, that is very helpful.

I have a couple of follow up questions.

1. I read in another thread on this topic that a corpus that has a mixture of languages may need to be segregated. Is that the case?

(e.g. a case involving an party whose documents were in Korean - would they need to be gathered into a saved search and an analytics index created based on that saved search?

2. Is there a way to analyze a document corpus and determine the dominant language?

3. If we had files with different languages within the same document - would there an issue?

Thanks,

Leo

Thanks again,

Leo

Thanks Dave, that is very helpful.

I have a couple of follow up questions.

1. I read in another thread on this topic that a corpus that has a mixture of languages may need to be segregated. Is that the case?

(e.g. a case involving an party whose documents were in Korean - would they need to be gathered into a saved search and an analytics index created based on that saved search?

2. Is there a way to analyze a document corpus and determine the dominant language?

3. If we had files with different languages within the same document - would there an issue?

Thanks,

Leo

Thanks again,

Leo

• 3 weeks later...

Being located in Europe i deal with multiple language sets on a daily basis. If you thinking of using analytics for TAR or Categories and/or Clustering i now always segregate into language sets/analytics indexes. The results are much better and I have been monitoring on different reviewers. It takes some time to build up and work on the stop words, but you have to spend time on this for every client/mandate.

I have had good feed back from lawyers conducting reviews in Spanish, French, Germany and Italian. We are just rapping up a Japanese exercise.

As far as threading and near dups, this seems to work as expected in all languages thus far.

Being located in Europe i deal with multiple language sets on a daily basis. If you thinking of using analytics for TAR or Categories and/or Clustering i now always segregate into language sets/analytics indexes. The results are much better and I have been monitoring on different reviewers. It takes some time to build up and work on the stop words, but you have to spend time on this for every client/mandate.

I have had good feed back from lawyers conducting reviews in Spanish, French, Germany and Italian. We are just rapping up a Japanese exercise.

As far as threading and near dups, this seems to work as expected in all languages thus far.