Is there a way to efficiently produce excel spreadsheets?

Guest mkrueger

Guest mkrueger

We like to produce excel spreadsheets in either tiff or pdf and let the sub attorney come back to us if we need to produce them in native.

However, sometimes excel spreadsheets have all kinds of blank pages that get imaged, and it is inefficient and takes forever. Also, they often aren't imaged in any form that is useful at all. Is there a way that I can manage how excel native docs are imaged in EclipseSE so that blank pages aren't imaged, or that they are imaged in a format that is readable/usable? As a last resort, I wouldn't mind truncating image jobs at 100 pages - I tried to use that option in EclipseSE (max pages), and it just gives me 100 pages of a document, then the next 100 pages of the same doc, and so on. It doesn't truly truncate the imaging.

Thanks for any help.

Guest mkrueger

We like to produce excel spreadsheets in either tiff or pdf and let the sub attorney come back to us if we need to produce them in native.

However, sometimes excel spreadsheets have all kinds of blank pages that get imaged, and it is inefficient and takes forever. Also, they often aren't imaged in any form that is useful at all. Is there a way that I can manage how excel native docs are imaged in EclipseSE so that blank pages aren't imaged, or that they are imaged in a format that is readable/usable? As a last resort, I wouldn't mind truncating image jobs at 100 pages - I tried to use that option in EclipseSE (max pages), and it just gives me 100 pages of a document, then the next 100 pages of the same doc, and so on. It doesn't truly truncate the imaging.

Thanks for any help.

Guest mkrueger

Thanks for any help.

• IPRO Employee

[uSER=844]mkrueger[/uSER]

Thank you for your inquiry. Excel files are notorious for causing a headache when imaged. I have had a client before with an Excel spreadsheet that only had a very small amount of data on it that turned out to be a few hundred (additional) blank pages when imaged. We typically encourage the workflow of placeholdering Excel files, but it's understandable there are situations where images are needed. As such, Eclipse SE can bulk TIFF your case. In the example below, you can see how to process Excel files only, but the bulk process in SE does not have any special control over the TIFFing parameters. You will likely still get hundreds of pages for a small document. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n2662[/ATTACH]

Another option you may want to look into is to use eCapture to leverage some of it's capabilities of advanced handling of Excel files. Here is a screenshot of the multitude of basic and advanced options available in eCapture. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n2663[/ATTACH]

The eCapture user guide will provide an explanation for some of the options you see above. I looked it up in the latest version of eCapture, 2017.4.0, which begins on page 222 (download from MyIpro). Just use CTRL+ F and search for "Excel" (no quotes) and it'll return all references to Excel within the user guide.

I hope this information helps!

Edited by Andrew C.

• IPRO Employee

Thank you for your inquiry. Excel files are notorious for causing a headache when imaged. I have had a client before with an Excel spreadsheet that only had a very small amount of data on it that turned out to be a few hundred (additional) blank pages when imaged. We typically encourage the workflow of placeholdering Excel files, but it's understandable there are situations where images are needed. As such, Eclipse SE can bulk TIFF your case. In the example below, you can see how to process Excel files only, but the bulk process in SE does not have any special control over the TIFFing parameters. You will likely still get hundreds of pages for a small document. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n2662[/ATTACH]

Another option you may want to look into is to use eCapture to leverage some of it's capabilities of advanced handling of Excel files. Here is a screenshot of the multitude of basic and advanced options available in eCapture. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n2663[/ATTACH]

The eCapture user guide will provide an explanation for some of the options you see above. I looked it up in the latest version of eCapture, 2017.4.0, which begins on page 222 (download from MyIpro). Just use CTRL+ F and search for "Excel" (no quotes) and it'll return all references to Excel within the user guide.

Edited by Andrew C.

• IPRO Employee

Thank you for your inquiry. Excel files are notorious for causing a headache when imaged. I have had a client before with an Excel spreadsheet that only had a very small amount of data on it that turned out to be a few hundred (additional) blank pages when imaged. We typically encourage the workflow of placeholdering Excel files, but it's understandable there are situations where images are needed. As such, Eclipse SE can bulk TIFF your case. In the example below, you can see how to process Excel files only, but the bulk process in SE does not have any special control over the TIFFing parameters. You will likely still get hundreds of pages for a small document. Capture.JPG.48e2bd3359314a4ef47de813e97bdde2.JPG

Another option you may want to look into is to use eCapture to leverage some of it's capabilities of advanced handling of Excel files. Here is a screenshot of the multitude of basic and advanced options available in eCapture. Capture2.thumb.jpg.b12dd41624e809976d92f2005fa44b69.jpg

Edited by Andrew C.

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

Has there been any updates/developments on the ability to manipulate Excel spreadsheets BEFORE the TIFFing process? That way the TIFF images can be produced cleaner (i.e. formatted in an easier version to review)?? Thanks!

• IPRO Employee

[uSER=541]jpena@wtk[/uSER]

Thank you for the inquiry.

At the time of this post, there is no newer version of Eclipse SE available besides 2017.4.1, which is the version I made my reply and screenshots with. I do know that there are some newer version of our enterprise products coming out very soon, so I will make a note to check the release notes when they are available and will reply back if any updates in this area have been made.

• IPRO Employee

[uSER=541]jpena@wtk[/uSER]

I have previewed the release notes for the latest eCapture version coming out. There are a lot of enhancements and fixes to the application as a whole, and some specific to Office Excel-related documents, but nothing as far as the user interface for modifying Excel files before TIFFing. I do apologize for the inconvenience. I'll look into any feature requests/bug fixes that might exist for this and hopefully they'll get this into a future release.