Building Smart Folders from File Path fields

ascott

I found an earlier entry suggesting the use of Tallying file path to preserve organizational data in the form of subfolders (e.g. "Photos", "Invoices", "Facebook Messages"), then applying tags to the results with which to build smart folders.

Tried it, but wondered if I can simply use, for example, the Relative File Path field I tallied to instead build the smart folders directly. Tried it, turned on the Category and Group options for the field, but it still doesn't appear among the fields you can build smart folders from.

Am I missing something, or is there a reason this is unavailable (e.g. dependency on other fields)?

-Tony

I found an earlier entry suggesting the use of Tallying file path to preserve organizational data in the form of subfolders (e.g. "Photos", "Invoices", "Facebook Messages"), then applying tags to the results with which to build smart folders.

Tried it, but wondered if I can simply use, for example, the Relative File Path field I tallied to instead build the smart folders directly. Tried it, turned on the Category and Group options for the field, but it still doesn't appear among the fields you can build smart folders from.

Am I missing something, or is there a reason this is unavailable (e.g. dependency on other fields)?

-Tony

-Tony

Guest Joshua DeLapp

Hello Tony,

There are some restrictions on creating smart folders. I'll paste those below (from the Eclipse User Guide):

[TABLE=border: 1, cellpadding: 1, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Field Type[/TD]

[TD]Fields[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]User-defined fields[/TD]

[TD]FixedLengthText[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Feature-specific fields[/TD]

[TD]Keyword List (KWL_FL) fields[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]System fields[/TD]

[TD]

• BEGATT
  • BEGDOC
  • CUSTODIAN
  • ENDATTACH
  • ENDDOC
  • ENTERPRISEIMAGINGJOB
  • ENTERPRISEIMAGINGSTATUS
  • MD5HASH
  • NATIVE
  • NATIVEFILEEXTENSION
  • NATIVEFILETYPEDESC

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Since it doesn't look like this is a system field, can you confirm if the field is a FixedLengthText field? If not, you won't be able to create a smart folder based on it directly.

Guest Joshua DeLapp

Hello Tony,

There are some restrictions on creating smart folders. I'll paste those below (from the Eclipse User Guide):

[TR]

[TD]Field Type[/TD]

[TD]Fields[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FixedLengthText[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]System fields[/TD]

[TD]

• BEGATT
  • BEGDOC
  • CUSTODIAN
  • ENDATTACH
  • ENDDOC
  • ENTERPRISEIMAGINGJOB
  • MD5HASH
  • NATIVE
  • NATIVEFILEEXTENSION
  • NATIVEFILETYPEDESC

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Since it doesn't look like this is a system field, can you confirm if the field is a FixedLengthText field? If not, you won't be able to create a smart folder based on it directly.

Guest Joshua DeLapp

Hello Tony,

[TR]

[TD]Field Type[/TD]

[TD]Fields[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FixedLengthText[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]System fields[/TD]

[TD]

• BEGATT
  • BEGDOC
  • CUSTODIAN
  • ENDATTACH
  • ENDDOC
  • ENTERPRISEIMAGINGJOB
  • MD5HASH
  • NATIVE
  • NATIVEFILEEXTENSION
  • NATIVEFILETYPEDESC

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• IPRO Employee

@ascott

I did a bit of brushing-up reading of the Smart Folder section in the Eclipse Admin user guide and found a very useful graph that I think will help out. The key takeaway is that there are only certain allowed built-in system fields you can use, along with any custom fields created that have a field type of FixedLengthText and not something like LongText or DateTime. (See Figure 1).

figure 1 (click for larger view)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n2724[/ATTACH]

As a result, I did some testing and created a TEST field with a field type of LongText in my sandbox case. I tried to create a smart folder based on it and verified it did not show up. I deleted the field and created a TEST2 field as a FixedLengthText and it did show up in the smart folder list. The problem is you have a field that cannot be used - File Path Relative - because it is long text. So, the only viable workaround I could come up with was to create a new field called "File Path Relative 2" as a FixedLengthText, export BEGDOC and the current "File Path Relative" field to a DAT file directly from the grid in Eclipse web, and then import overlay back into the case (begdoc on begdoc and FilePathRelative on FilePathRelative2). This essentially makes a copy of the database field that you can then overlay the same data in that field into it, and then perform the smart folder build.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues with this.

Edited by Andrew C.

• IPRO Employee

@ascott

I did a bit of brushing-up reading of the Smart Folder section in the Eclipse Admin user guide and found a very useful graph that I think will help out. The key takeaway is that there are only certain allowed built-in system fields you can use, along with any custom fields created that have a field type of FixedLengthText and not something like LongText or DateTime. (See Figure 1).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n2724[/ATTACH]

As a result, I did some testing and created a TEST field with a field type of LongText in my sandbox case. I tried to create a smart folder based on it and verified it did not show up. I deleted the field and created a TEST2 field as a FixedLengthText and it did show up in the smart folder list. The problem is you have a field that cannot be used - File Path Relative - because it is long text. So, the only viable workaround I could come up with was to create a new field called "File Path Relative 2" as a FixedLengthText, export BEGDOC and the current "File Path Relative" field to a DAT file directly from the grid in Eclipse web, and then import overlay back into the case (begdoc on begdoc and FilePathRelative on FilePathRelative2). This essentially makes a copy of the database field that you can then overlay the same data in that field into it, and then perform the smart folder build.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues with this.

Edited by Andrew C.

• IPRO Employee

@ascott

Capture.JPG.827ec3dd2f7c9862b4963229e8154dff.JPG

Edited by Andrew C.

The "File Path Relative" field is LongText, which would explain why it isn't available. It's field type is unalterable.

I imagine this is set as LongText to accommodate long paths, as its sister "File Path All" and "File Path Source" fields are also set this way, but I don't believe it is necessary for the "Relative" field, which appears to set itself at the level at which the folders diverge, and is by definition shorter than the full path.

Given that the "File Path Relative" field would, depending on how it determines what level to set the divergence at, be the ideal way to automatically preserve the organizational information in a directory using Smart Folders, is there a reason this cannot be altered? I further wonder how it handles multiple levels of divergence.

In the meantime, I'm forced to make my own field (e.g. "Subfolders"), export the contents of the "Begdoc" and "File Path Relative" fields to Excel, paste them over into "Subfolders"(and removing the ""), and then import them back into Eclipse so I can use "Subfolders" to build the Smart Folders.

If I am missing an obvious way to make that easier, I would appreciate the direction.

-Tony

The "File Path Relative" field is LongText, which would explain why it isn't available. It's field type is unalterable.

I imagine this is set as LongText to accommodate long paths, as its sister "File Path All" and "File Path Source" fields are also set this way, but I don't believe it is necessary for the "Relative" field, which appears to set itself at the level at which the folders diverge, and is by definition shorter than the full path.

Given that the "File Path Relative" field would, depending on how it determines what level to set the divergence at, be the ideal way to automatically preserve the organizational information in a directory using Smart Folders, is there a reason this cannot be altered? I further wonder how it handles multiple levels of divergence.

In the meantime, I'm forced to make my own field (e.g. "Subfolders"), export the contents of the "Begdoc" and "File Path Relative" fields to Excel, paste them over into "Subfolders"(and removing the ""), and then import them back into Eclipse so I can use "Subfolders" to build the Smart Folders.

If I am missing an obvious way to make that easier, I would appreciate the direction.

-Tony

-Tony

• IPRO Employee

@ascott

Below the screenshot/figure in my last post I mentioned a workaround which is similar to your method, but you don't need to use Excel, as far as I'm aware. Instead of choosing to export as a CSV, simply choose a DAT file on the mass actions export screen.

All of the built-in system fields are pre-determined by the Developers as to what they should be, and unfortunately we have no control over changing them since they are non-editable fields. Here's my thought as to the likely idea why the Developers have this as a long text field type: CASE A may have a shorter relative path like \\this\is\my\really\really\short\diverged\file\path, but CASE B could have a relative path that is something in the likeness of \\this\is\my\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\long ("short")\diverged\file\path. The point here is that this field can literally be relative in terms of how long the diverged path is -- one case might be shorter or longer than another case, so there's no way to guarantee it.

I will gladly put in a feature request to make this an optionally editable field -- optionally in the perspective that there would need to be some measure, determined by average length of all documents maybe, of the field and at some cut-off it would auto-lock into a LongText field type vs an editable FixedLengthText field. Let me know!

Edited by Andrew C.

• IPRO Employee

@ascott

Below the screenshot/figure in my last post I mentioned a workaround which is similar to your method, but you don't need to use Excel, as far as I'm aware. Instead of choosing to export as a CSV, simply choose a DAT file on the mass actions export screen.

All of the built-in system fields are pre-determined by the Developers as to what they should be, and unfortunately we have no control over changing them since they are non-editable fields. Here's my thought as to the likely idea why the Developers have this as a long text field type: CASE A may have a shorter relative path like \\this\is\my\really\really\short\diverged\file\path, but CASE B could have a relative path that is something in the likeness of \\this\is\my\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\really\long ("short")\diverged\file\path. The point here is that this field can literally be relative in terms of how long the diverged path is -- one case might be shorter or longer than another case, so there's no way to guarantee it.

I will gladly put in a feature request to make this an optionally editable field -- optionally in the perspective that there would need to be some measure, determined by average length of all documents maybe, of the field and at some cut-off it would auto-lock into a LongText field type vs an editable FixedLengthText field. Let me know!

Edited by Andrew C.

• IPRO Employee

@ascott

Edited by Andrew C.

I agree that it would be simpler to export the "File Path Relative" and "BegDoc" fields, then re-import them immediately, but instead aligning the "File Path Relative" field to the "Subfolders" field I created, rather than bothering with the copying and pasting in excel. It shouldn't matter what format the export file is, in that case, so long as the Admin module will accept it as a loadfile.

As to the editable field: assuming there are no issues with the length of the path exceeding the data limit, it all comes down to how it determines where to set the (presumed) level of divergence. It is unclear whether it chooses the first divergence it encounters from the data folder, or travels to the end, or some other method.

In a simple setup where there is a single data folder, containing a dozen subfolders organizing the files within, it uses the names of each of those subfolders. This behavior makes sense in a setup that is only two-levels deep (Data folder and subfolders). That said, without testing I do not know what it does with multiple levels of divergence (e.g. sub-subfolders and sub-sub-subfolders). I can see it becoming unwieldy, or requiring multiple iterations of "File Path Relative" (e.g. FPR lvl 1, lvl 2, ...).

I have been doing this manually for some time, but it would still be useful to accommodate it by design in Eclipse, although any method of preserving the information inherent in directory trees and making it available for sorting or grouping would be useful.

Thanks for the help.

-Tony

I agree that it would be simpler to export the "File Path Relative" and "BegDoc" fields, then re-import them immediately, but instead aligning the "File Path Relative" field to the "Subfolders" field I created, rather than bothering with the copying and pasting in excel. It shouldn't matter what format the export file is, in that case, so long as the Admin module will accept it as a loadfile.

As to the editable field: assuming there are no issues with the length of the path exceeding the data limit, it all comes down to how it determines where to set the (presumed) level of divergence. It is unclear whether it chooses the first divergence it encounters from the data folder, or travels to the end, or some other method.

In a simple setup where there is a single data folder, containing a dozen subfolders organizing the files within, it uses the names of each of those subfolders. This behavior makes sense in a setup that is only two-levels deep (Data folder and subfolders). That said, without testing I do not know what it does with multiple levels of divergence (e.g. sub-subfolders and sub-sub-subfolders). I can see it becoming unwieldy, or requiring multiple iterations of "File Path Relative" (e.g. FPR lvl 1, lvl 2, ...).

I have been doing this manually for some time, but it would still be useful to accommodate it by design in Eclipse, although any method of preserving the information inherent in directory trees and making it available for sorting or grouping would be useful.

Thanks for the help.

-Tony

Thanks for the help.

-Tony