Coding Form Rules Tips and Tricks you've found?

Krista Schmidt

• Moderators

Some tips and tricks I've found working with Eclipse coding forms:

1. If you need to make a Tag or Field required, but you don't want it required for the entire case, just for that coding form, set up a rule that says something like IF BEGDOC(Field) IS NOT EMPTY, PRIVILEGE(Tag) IS REQUIRED. Since your BEGDOC field must always be populated, the users will be required to follow the rule.

2. For Coding form rules, the 'Name' of the rule is what your user will see if they violate the rule. Use the 'Name' to tell the user what they need to do. IE, The name of your rule could be something like 'You must choose a Confidentiality if Responsive is tagged!'

3. Coding form rules can only be applied to tags, tag groups, and fields that are associated with the form. For example, if you rule affects a Comments field, the comments field must first be added to the form before the rule can be applied.

4. Coding form rules can only be set up to alert the reviewer of certain conditions that have not yet been met. They cannot be set up to automatically perform document coding for the reviewer if the conditions are met.

5. Generally I recommend having at least one 'Admin' Coding form which includes all tag groups. If a tag group is not part of a coding form, it cannot be searched or mass tagged.

Any other tips for coding forms that anyone recommends?

• Moderators

1. If you need to make a Tag or Field required, but you don't want it required for the entire case, just for that coding form, set up a rule that says something like IF BEGDOC(Field) IS NOT EMPTY, PRIVILEGE(Tag) IS REQUIRED. Since your BEGDOC field must always be populated, the users will be required to follow the rule.

2. For Coding form rules, the 'Name' of the rule is what your user will see if they violate the rule. Use the 'Name' to tell the user what they need to do. IE, The name of your rule could be something like 'You must choose a Confidentiality if Responsive is tagged!'

3. Coding form rules can only be applied to tags, tag groups, and fields that are associated with the form. For example, if you rule affects a Comments field, the comments field must first be added to the form before the rule can be applied.

4. Coding form rules can only be set up to alert the reviewer of certain conditions that have not yet been met. They cannot be set up to automatically perform document coding for the reviewer if the conditions are met.

5. Generally I recommend having at least one 'Admin' Coding form which includes all tag groups. If a tag group is not part of a coding form, it cannot be searched or mass tagged.

• Moderators

Good tips Krista. I would add the following:

6. Set important fields such as metadata and bates numbering to "View Only" so that they're not editable on the Coding Form.

7. Order your fields so that fields with smaller amount of data are at the top and the long text fields such as "Attorney Comments" are at the bottom.

8. Use the KWL fields instead of the KWL tag group. This ensures your tag pallet does not stretch to the point where you need to scroll up and down.

9. For data identification fields such as "Document Type" or "Exhibit Numbers", use a Pick List field to control the input and keep consistency in the options.

10. Minimize the number of fields and tags on your default Coding Form to help with database performance.

6. Set important fields such as metadata and bates numbering to "View Only" so that they're not editable on the Coding Form.

7. Order your fields so that fields with smaller amount of data are at the top and the long text fields such as "Attorney Comments" are at the bottom.

8. Use the KWL fields instead of the KWL tag group. This ensures your tag pallet does not stretch to the point where you need to scroll up and down.

9. For data identification fields such as "Document Type" or "Exhibit Numbers", use a Pick List field to control the input and keep consistency in the options.

10. Minimize the number of fields and tags on your default Coding Form to help with database performance.

Archived