Incremental Build or Full Build?

Randi King

I have a few questions about the differences in Incremental versus Full Build in Eclipse:

1) When should I complete a full build other than at the beginning of a project? Is there a best practice for how often we should complete a full build instead of an incremental?

2) What does the scheduled indexing perform - an incremental or a full build?

3) If my index is getting really large and I have not done a full build in a while, will doing an incremental build reduce down the size of my index at all?

Thanks in advance,

I have a few questions about the differences in Incremental versus Full Build in Eclipse:

1) When should I complete a full build other than at the beginning of a project? Is there a best practice for how often we should complete a full build instead of an incremental?

3) If my index is getting really large and I have not done a full build in a while, will doing an incremental build reduce down the size of my index at all?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks in advance,

Thanks in advance,

Thanks in advance,

Thanks in advance,

Thanks in advance,

You pose some good questions Randi. Below are my answers:

1. You should perform a full build anytime an index property has been changed such as modifying the alphabet file, adding/removing noise words, or changing index location. You should also perform a full build if you are adding/removing fields from the index. Furthermore, if index content changes in anyway, for instance if documents have updated text or documents that didn't have text when the index was initially fully built, now have text that was overlaid after the fact.

2. A scheduled index performs an incremental build.

3. An incremental build will not reduce the overall size of the index however, you could either expand or reduce the number of index files generated. For example, Eclipse has a default setting of 10 for number of indexes. This is a good practice for most cases however, to help with index building performance, expanding that number will expedite the index building process for larger cases. A good rule of thumb would be to have a matching number of index files and agents.

A good practice is to routinely perform incremental indexes when new documents are added. However, every so often, it does not hurt to perform a full build. It will ensure that if any major modifications were made without your awareness, the index fully reflects it.

1. You should perform a full build anytime an index property has been changed such as modifying the alphabet file, adding/removing noise words, or changing index location. You should also perform a full build if you are adding/removing fields from the index. Furthermore, if index content changes in anyway, for instance if documents have updated text or documents that didn't have text when the index was initially fully built, now have text that was overlaid after the fact.

3. An incremental build will not reduce the overall size of the index however, you could either expand or reduce the number of index files generated. For example, Eclipse has a default setting of 10 for number of indexes. This is a good practice for most cases however, to help with index building performance, expanding that number will expedite the index building process for larger cases. A good rule of thumb would be to have a matching number of index files and agents.

A good practice is to routinely perform incremental indexes when new documents are added. However, every so often, it does not hurt to perform a full build. It will ensure that if any major modifications were made without your awareness, the index fully reflects it.

• Moderators
A good rule of thumb would be to have a matching number of index files and agents.QUOTE]

I agree this is a good rule of thumb, but I would also stipulate that can be subjective with smaller environments and/or larger cases. If an environment only has 1 or 2 agents and has a 500k or 1m document case, I would recommend increasing that count. This will not help index build performance speeds as the same number of agents will be building all the files, but it will allow the index files to be smaller in size.

• Moderators
A good rule of thumb would be to have a matching number of index files and agents.QUOTE]

I agree this is a good rule of thumb, but I would also stipulate that can be subjective with smaller environments and/or larger cases. If an environment only has 1 or 2 agents and has a 500k or 1m document case, I would recommend increasing that count. This will not help index build performance speeds as the same number of agents will be building all the files, but it will allow the index files to be smaller in size.

• Moderators

• Moderators

• Moderators

• Moderators

• Moderators

Hi Randi,

Answers:

1. In a prefect world, Full build should be used after the 1st import of the data, after any big quantity of document deletion or import of huge quantity of data. Incremental build there after. But I have had several issues with Incremental build. With me the failure rate of Incremental build is 99.99 %, hence I always run a Full Build.
  2. The scheduled indexing should perform incremental build, but its a joke. I haven't seen it work once.
  3. No, the incremental build will not work. As suggested in point 1, ask all users to logout, run Full build.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Hi Randi,

Answers:

1. In a prefect world, Full build should be used after the 1st import of the data, after any big quantity of document deletion or import of huge quantity of data. Incremental build there after. But I have had several issues with Incremental build. With me the failure rate of Incremental build is 99.99 %, hence I always run a Full Build.
  2. The scheduled indexing should perform incremental build, but its a joke. I haven't seen it work once.
  3. No, the incremental build will not work. As suggested in point 1, ask all users to logout, run Full build.

Hi Randi,

Answers:

Hi Randi,

Answers:

Archived