Smart Folders -- ingesting data with a complex folder structure

oresteez

Any advice on the best way to ingest some data into an IPRO case that has a complex folder structure? I would be ingesting natives (docs, pdf's, etc. ) and the client has taken a considerable amount of time to save this data in folders, within folders, within folders. If I just ingest it all in 1 shot, I'm going to lose the folder structure, right? And I think (?) Smart folders can only be created 1 folder deep?

Any advice? Thank you!

-Chris

Any advice on the best way to ingest some data into an IPRO case that has a complex folder structure? I would be ingesting natives (docs, pdf's, etc. ) and the client has taken a considerable amount of time to save this data in folders, within folders, within folders. If I just ingest it all in 1 shot, I'm going to lose the folder structure, right? And I think (?) Smart folders can only be created 1 folder deep?

Any advice? Thank you!

-Chris

• Cloud Solutions Architect

Chris,

Currently with native ingestion into SE, the application doesn't really track the native folder structure outside of what is written to the 'native file' field. And you are correct, smart folders will only go 1 folder deep.

If you are looking to have the folder structure represented in a more visual manner in Desktop, I would recommend the following workflow after performing native ingestion:

-create tag groups/sub groups mimicking the folder structure

-perform searches on the 'native file' field for the folder name values (include families in your searches) and apply the matching tags to your results

This will allow you to see the folder structure laid out in the tag palette where you can search for any specific directory based on its tag/tag group.

Eclipse Web currently has functionality that will build Smart folders several layers deep based on tags/tag groups. I feel this functionality would benefit your current workflow in SE. I can submit a feature enhancement to SE Product Management at your request to implement the same functionality in SE in a future release. Let me know if you would be interested. Thanks.

• Cloud Solutions Architect

Chris,

Currently with native ingestion into SE, the application doesn't really track the native folder structure outside of what is written to the 'native file' field. And you are correct, smart folders will only go 1 folder deep.

If you are looking to have the folder structure represented in a more visual manner in Desktop, I would recommend the following workflow after performing native ingestion:

-create tag groups/sub groups mimicking the folder structure

-perform searches on the 'native file' field for the folder name values (include families in your searches) and apply the matching tags to your results

This will allow you to see the folder structure laid out in the tag palette where you can search for any specific directory based on its tag/tag group.

Eclipse Web currently has functionality that will build Smart folders several layers deep based on tags/tag groups. I feel this functionality would benefit your current workflow in SE. I can submit a feature enhancement to SE Product Management at your request to implement the same functionality in SE in a future release. Let me know if you would be interested. Thanks.

One consideration would be to use the Filepath field for this. You can easily tally the field then to navigate to specific folders and if you add a Category flag to the field, you can create Smart Folders based on the unique values.

One consideration would be to use the Filepath field for this. You can easily tally the field then to navigate to specific folders and if you add a Category flag to the field, you can create Smart Folders based on the unique values.

Since we incorporated the Filepath field, you can select the top level folder for the data collection and the sub-folders will be captured in the Filepath field during the ingestion process. This methodology can also be used when Ingesting Images as long as you select to map the Filepath field. Many clients use this when ingesting image based PDF files that have descriptive folder names for the collection.

Since we incorporated the Filepath field, you can select the top level folder for the data collection and the sub-folders will be captured in the Filepath field during the ingestion process. This methodology can also be used when Ingesting Images as long as you select to map the Filepath field. Many clients use this when ingesting image based PDF files that have descriptive folder names for the collection.